Saturday 3 May 2008

Writing Letters

I was writing letters this morning.
Although you might say, "What else can anyone write?"

And I suppose most of what I was doing was typing and not writing.
Although you might also question whether pressing keys on a computer keyboard is typing.

For the letters I 'wrote' were printed by an inkjet printer.
There was no 'type' such as you find on a type-writer.
But then it would be bizarre to describe what I was doing this morning as 'squirting ink'. You might think that I am a Squid - even although I am not Colossal!

What I like best about writing letters is thinking about the person or people to whom I am writing. Although I can't see, hear, touch, smell (or even taste!) the recipients of my letters, I can remember them. I recall who they are, where and when we met, what we have done together (or not done!). A whole range of memories.

The people I was writing to this morning are members of a group that I lead.
We will be meeting up in a week or two's time and I wanted to let them know what we'll be doing, and where and when.
There will be a large conference in Edinburgh from the 15th to the 21st and we want to meet together to think and talk about the reports to that conference, and the decisions which the delegates will make there.

The Blue Book of reports is huge.
I may have been writing some letters.
But the Blue Book is on a different scale, a different league!
It's absolutely Colossal! There's a humungous number of letters.
It takes a whole Body of people to put it together.
I don't know how the delegates have time to read it all.

I'll be there too.
Not as a Delegate but as a Steward.
So you might see me on duty.
Holding the doors.
Directing the traffic.
Keeping a watchful eye.
Meeting old friends.
And making new friends too, I expect.

Letters are wonderful things.
The author means one thing.
But the reader can read another meaning altogether!
If the author is not present then the words can mean almost anything!

All those delegates will have read the same reports.
But they will have made different interpretations.
And some of the 'fun' at the conference will be sorting out the different meanings.

What's life all about?
One author wrote that the answer is '42'.

But another author wrote that Letters are the answer.
Not just from A to Z, but from Alpha (Α) to Omega(Ω).

No comments:

Post a Comment