Wednesday 14 May 2008

Back again!

I had a strange day today!

It was my first duty as a Steward at the Assembly conference.
The venue is attached to the university where I have been studying.
So although my stewarding duties were new;
I was back in the university again!

Actually, it was quite nice to be back.
It was my choice and I saw several friends.
Some of them were about to sit an exam.
But they didn't seem to mind us having a chat before they went off for some last minute cramming.

And later on in the afternoon I met a couple of friends I hadn't seen for a longer period. Sadly, one of them had suffered the death of his mother back in April, after she had been ill on and off since Christmas-time. I was glad to hear that the university will take account of his circumstances. I think he was comforted to hear of my own loss of my Dad back in February.

My other friend is a post-graduate research student but also was a member of staff on one of my courses last semester. So it was good to catch up as peers, rather than in our staff-student roles. He has just become a grandfather again.

This evening I was at a prayer meeting where we were praying that the delegates at the Assembly will make good decisions on all the business that the conference will deal with during the next week. It was a good meeting and we were glad to share each other's concerns and hopes for the future.

Life has many strange turns and twists.
The path may seem straight ahead.
But then it suddenly veers off to one side or the other.

At other times we seem to be travelling blind.
But we sense which way to go to stay on the path.

Sometimes we travel together as a group.
And other times we seem desperately alone.

But despite what you feel God is always right beside you.
Call out to him and he will answer.
He loves you and wants your friendship.

That's what I enjoyed most about today.
The company of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment