Saturday 19 April 2008

Seeds - for growing or eating?

I enjoyed some time out in the garden this afternoon.
It was beautifully sunny, but rather cold.
It certainly wasn't sunbathing weather.
I was glad to have my gardening gloves on!

I enjoyed giving the grass a light cut.
It's a methodical task that doesn't require much brain-power!
So I have time to think as well as to be busy doing something.

I was thinking about the seeds that I put in the bird feeder.
What were these seeds made for?
Were they made for growing new plants?
Or were they made to provide food for birds, and other little creatures?

Of course, the plants make seeds to make new plants.
But if there is no food for the birds then they'll die.
And if the birds don't spread the seeds then the plants can't spread.

I guess it's one of these chicken and egg situations.
Which came first? What's more important?

I suppose that would be one of the arguments for everything having appeared at once. That way the chicken could be there before the first egg.

On the other hand, if everything developed one micro-step at time, then birds and plants gradually come to depend on each other. There is mutual benefit.

Every living thing that we know of uses DNA to encode the instructions for life. And DNA is composed of just four proteins: Adenine, Thymine, Cytosine and Guanine, abbreviated to A, T, C and G. The two strands that form the DNA double helix are connected by bonds between pairs of these four proteins. The proteins can only bond in two ways: G and C can bind only to each other, and the same goes for A and T.

My question is this: how could DNA develop one step at a time?

Well, that was too hard a question to answer while cutting the grass!
So I moved on to the spring rake, to break up the matted grass and let in some air and light. I certainly needed to increase my own air intake. It's hard work and soon I didn't need my gloves any more!

After a final cut the grass was looking lovely.
At least so long as you don't look at the ragged edges!
They can wait for another day.

Behind the beautiful colours of the yellow daffodils, the blue grape hyacinth, the red dogwood branches, the white flowers making waterfalls on a couple of bushes, and the verdant green grass, is the business of seed making.

It's fundamental to life itself.
Without any seed there is no next generation.

A farmer scattered seed on his field.
Some of it was eaten by birds.
Other seed was choked by weeds.
Some of the plants dried up in shallow soil.
But most of it grew to fruition and made 100s of seeds.

Are you making seeds?
What for?

No comments:

Post a Comment