Friday 11 April 2008

Carpet Everywhere!

I was at a worship service today as I do from time to time.

It was a new place for me and I arrived early so that I had time to find out how they do things at that place. I was surprised to find that the main hall was fully carpeted but there were no seats (except a few for those who needed them).

They had some problems with their microphone system, but that wasn't the reason I couldn't understand half of what the speaker was saying. It wasn't even that he was using religious jargon - in fact he spoke remarkably plain English, apart from his accent. No, it was just that half the time he was speaking another language altogether, and telling us in English also. It reminded me of meetings in Taiwan when everything was spoken in Mandarin and in English.

What he had to say was very good. He was encouraging those present to be more loving and gracious in our marriage relationships, just as God is generous and gracious in his relationship with us. I was impressed. I had not heard such a forthright talk about marriage at a church service before. But there again, it wasn't a church I was in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment