Thursday 1 January 2009

Beginnings

New Moon & Jupiter just after Sunset
On Monday, as we were coming back from town on the bus, there was the beautiful skliff of a New Moon hanging in the clear sky shortly after the sun had set.

Back on May 6th, when I previously saw a New Moon, I didn't have my camera with me. But this time my new camera from the Summer was already round my neck. So when I got off the bus, I headed along the street to where I could see the Moon across the nearby fields. The horizon was far away and low down so I had a great view.

There were two other planets in the sky - Jupiter and Venus. Jupiter was below and right from the Moon, and thus nearer the fading sunlight. If you can't see it on the picture above, then if you double-click on the photo you'll see the full image. I can't resolve any of Jupiter's moons or other features, but can just about discern the planet as a disc, as you may see in the cutting below.

Jupiter just after Sunset
Venus was higher than the Moon, and left, and thus in darker sky. In the two photos below you can clearly make out the disc, although with Venus being covered in bright cloud the disc is featureless.

Venus dimly exposedVenus brightly exposed

<-- Bright Venus & Dim Venus -->




I like what I wrote on that day back in May.
'Twas all about beginnings coming into play.
As the Moon reappeared from behind the bright Sun,
Another New Year has appeared and begun!

Happy New Year everyone!

May all my readers know the blessings of God throughout 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment