Wednesday 21 January 2009

The First Goudie Lecture

Yesterday I was honoured to attend a lecture at the Museum of Communication at Burntisland in Fife given by Professor Anne Glover, the Chief Scientific Advisor for Scotland, in memory of my late father, Dr. George O. Goudie.

Professor Glover was speaking about "Having Fun Communicating Science" and she delivered a very entertaining talk that showed how scientific activity in Scotland offers exciting opportunities for interesting and productive work in industry, research, and in education.

One of the products which she demonstrated was an artificial hand that both looks and works almost like a real hand. It is invented, designed, and produced, by a Scottish company, Touch Bionics.

Today I read some more about this company and noted that the inventor of Touch Bionics' i-Limb technology is David Gow, who was not only taught by my father at Edinburgh University, but was in the same Engineering class as my wife and I.

Scottish scientists and inventors have a global recognition far higher than our numerical population warrants. Science and Engineering offer exciting and dynamic careers for people of all ages. Don't miss the opportunities to influence the inside of our high technology products as well as using them from the outside.

The Museum of Communication will be promoting several more lectures during the remainder of this year, as well as the summer exhibition at their base in Burntisland. Come along and find out the history of communication from Morse Code to Instant Messaging.

3 comments:

  1. Stewart, what a lovely thing to be able to attend. I bet you were real proud.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shuna, Thanks.
    I am proud of my Dad and all the good things that he accomplished during his 80 years. I wish I had been able to tell him that before he died. But perhaps he knows anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stewart, lovely piece. Just posted this to the MoC facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MoCBurntisland

    ReplyDelete