Friday 2 January 2009

New Year Sales

At this time of year the Consumer seems to go mad.

Those of us who have any money left after Christmas seem desperate to make the most of the sales in the shops to snap up bargains on items they may, or may not, need.

I've had a jacket and shoes on my shopping list for a month or two now. So today I plucked up courage and went to find my favourite mens' wear shop. Given how rarely I visit such establishments, it's not surprising it had closed down not long ago!

I guess it's a sign of the times, that shops can't stay open on the offchance that us rare shoppers might drop in some day soon and make a purchase. In this harsh business climate, if you're not selling, then you're going out of business, and soon.

At least when I got to my favourite shoe shop it was still trading. They were pleased to see me, and I was pleased to find two pairs of shoes that fitted me. It's a rare occurrence even to find one pair - so I bought them both. After all they were 20% off - so the second, cheaper, pair was free!

As I continued in towards the city centre in my search for a jacket the prices were on the high side, until I found a shop having a real jacket sale! The one I bought was reduced from £179 to only £79. I felt pleased with myself, and enjoyed the bonus of meeting one of my fellow trainees in there too. Obviously he too had a keen nose for a bargain!

In these days of international trading turbulence I have been giving a lot of thought to the ethics of trading and purchasing. I haven't yet come to any firm conclusions.

It seems most reasonable to purchase goods from local producers. This not only supports our own local economy, but minimises the transportation of goods. However, it is notable in our shops that the cheapest items often come from India, China, or similar countries where labour costs are very low.

Is it ethical to purchase such cheap items at the expense of a decent wage for the production workers? The high transportation costs, add to carbon emissions and global warming, raises another ethical question.

But if we choose to purchase high-priced locally-manufactured items then we cut off these low-cost workers from their means of trade. The problem is that we pay ourselves too much in Britain in order to finance our extravagant lifestyles.

If we were to downgrade our expectations of luxurious living then our wage costs would be lower and our carbon emissions would be less. Home-based products would be cheaper. And if we do it properly then we still have resources to support developing countries in their efforts to eliminate poverty and develop their technology and infrastructure.

But who's going to start that ball rolling? It won't be a popular move. But I am coming to the conclusion it's the only way out of this inflationary madness we have been sucked into by those who are greedy for a quick profit and an extravagant lifestyle.

In reality each one of us is to blame for this situation in which we find ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment