Tuesday 27 January 2009

Dust & Ashes

It's been a strange day today. I think my supervisor knew I would find it strange, so he let me potter about on my own this morning. It was good to have time to think as well as get some outstanding jobs done.

This afternoon we were at the Crematorium. We've been there before, and at others as well. So it wasn't being at the Crematorium that made it strange.

Perhaps it was because I've been thinking more of my Dad in these past days - it's only a few weeks until the anniversary of his death. But although it was sad when he moved on, it was peaceful too, almost like it was the right time for him. So I don't think that what was making today strange either.

I think it was because today it was me who was saying the phrase, "Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust."

In recent times it has always been my supervisor who has spoken the words of Committal at these events. It didn't take me by surprise. I had known I would be doing that for several days now.

But it has given me pause for thought. Because those words are the trigger for the platform (or Catafalque, as its known in the trade) to lower, taking the coffin, with its semi-precious contents, on its final journey.

I say semi-precious, not due to any lack of respect, but in recognition, that the body in the coffin is no longer as precious as it was when it contained a living person. The person has gone, and the body is now only the empty container.

Yet for those who knew and loved Helen, her body still has value. It is the only physicality that is left. It is all they have, and soon even that will be gone - dust to dust, and ashes to ashes.

And it was me who spoke those words today - heard so often, and always so final.

There was no choice really. If I hadn't said them, my supervisor would have said them. And even if no-one said these words, the process would have continued one way or another. There is no way back - only a journey forwards.

That was the positive message that we spoke of today. That Jesus calls each one of us to go forward with Him. We don't face an unknown journey into the darkness of the grave. Only our body goes there - or if not then burned in the fiery furnace.

The person, who we are, is called onwards, to journey with the Eternal Christ, Jesus the Son of God, who has gone before us, has prepared a place for us, and journeys with us.

He will never leave you, nor forsake you - ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment