Monday 1 September 2008

Introducing Pardovan, Kingscavil, Winchburgh & Abercorn

Hmmm, that is rather a long title, isn't it?
I suspect I'll be shortening it to PKW&A before long!

Anyway, that's the official title of the two parishes I'll be working for until the end of November 2009. Abercorn was fairly recently linked to the previous union of Pardovan, Kingscavil and Winchburgh.

Winchburgh Parish Church
The PKW parish is located between Kirkliston and Linlithgow, on both sides of what used to be the main A9 road from Edinburgh to Stirling. They have three buildings, one at Winchburgh, another at Kingscavil close to Linlithgow, and the newer Bridgend Mission Hall between these two. That's Winchburgh church above.

Abercorn Parish Church
Abercorn is a smaller parish, located between South Queensferry and Blackness & Bo'ness to the West. The Abercorn parish includes the estates of Hopetoun and the Binns within its bounds. However, the church (above) is far older than the other buildings, dating back to the 11th century in the reign of King David I. There are even references to Abercorn back to the 7th century, although there is no knowledge of any ruins from these earlier centuries.

So today has been my first day on the job and I have enjoyed meeting some of the people who live there. Follow my journey as I record it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment