Tuesday 28 October 2008

Disillusionment and Purpose

Some would say that Faith and Doubt are opposites.

But in John Ortberg's book "Faith & Doubt", published this month, he suggests that being open to doubt enables us to work through our questions honestly and in the end work through to a stronger faith than previously.

Earlier this week I was feeling a tad demoralised. I won't bore you with the reasons why, for they were comparatively minor. It had been a long day!

But as I was thinking about why I had been feeling so low, and self-pity was the primary culprit, I realised that it was important that I be honest with myself, and honest with God too.

What is life all about? What's the point?

Or as one of my inspiring theologically-minded friends said, pointedly(!) - "Who's the point?" (Thank you, Mary!)

In wrestling, momentarily, with whether God was being sensible in Calling me into Ministry, I came to understand that it's not about being 'sensible' but about being 'Called'. I am who I am (to quote somebody famous!). Having been Called, there is no point in asking whether it is 'sensible'!

Jesus' disciple Peter had to wrestle with the same issues when he stepped out of the boat and started walking on the water (as in another well-known John Ortberg book!). Jesus held him tightly by the hand, and they returned safely to the boat.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is foolishness to the wise, for God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom (1 Cor. 1:18-25). It was foolishness for God to come and live amongst us, and then to allow mankind to kill him on the Cross. But that's what he did. And God demonstrated his wisdom and power when Jesus was raised from the grave in his resurrection body.

He did it all because he loves us.
He loves you.

Jesus invites us to lose our life for him.
And in so doing, to find life in him - eternal life.
(Matt. 16:25)

On Tuesday I enjoyed the beauty of the early morning frost on the grass and the beautiful evening sunset. But the camera was not at the ready - so enjoy your own memories, or imagine them!

No comments:

Post a Comment