Saturday 4 October 2008

Candidacy Reinstated

Back in April one of my friends in the Candidates training programme was told that he could not continue with his training. In his path towards Ministry he had suddenly run up against a roadblock.

I was shocked, although no doubt not so much as he was. Although most of us trainees have our ups and downs, he had got through the previous tricky spots, and was only six months away from his Final Assessment. In one moment everything turned upside down.

I was disturbed myself because I too had passed by some rocky places and was near the end of an extra training placement. I was pleased to have the opportunity to improve in some areas, but I didn't know whether I could improve enough to satisfy my Assessors. The termination of my friend's training made me realise afresh that I also could be stopped at any of these assessments.

I questioned my sense of God calling me into Ministry. But I was certain I was following the path God had laid before me. If the Church of Scotland turned me away, then God must have some other place where He wanted me to Minister. So I continued with my own training, following the path to see where it would lead.

As for my friend, he decided to appeal against the decision. There were several stages to the appeal process. The last stage took place yesterday, and the outcome is that his appeal has been successful! He is to be reinstated into the Candidates training programme.

Back in April I was disturbed. Today I am thrilled for my friend, and for the Church in which we serve both God and his people.

No comments:

Post a Comment