Tuesday 5 August 2008

Three Successes and a Defeat

Today was a good day for most of us.

As I said yesterday, first thing I was off to Winchburgh.
I arrived for the Holiday Club in good time and was able to help out in a number of areas. There were a good number of young folk there and I think we would all say it was a successful morning. We had fun and I don't think I blotted my copybook.

Andrew too had a good day. He got top grade for all his subjects except English and French, and did better than he and we expected in both of those. So, 'congratulations' to Andrew in his success, and 'congratulations' also to everyone else who felt they did well with their results today. And for those who had a disappointing time, let us pray that they will know God's direction for their lives, and a new sense of purpose for the future.

In the afternoon my Mum and I went to Lauriston Castle (in NW Edinburgh) for a game of croquet. Lauriston is the home of the Edinburgh Croquet Club and Mum has been an enthusiastic member since they moved nearby over 15 years ago. I've only played the adult game a few times, although when my brother, sister, and I, were growing up we used to play croquet often with a set that my Dad made for us.

Anyway, today Mum gave me a few free shots at the start of our game, but when I got into the lead my free shots dried up. I gradually built up a lead of 12 points to Mum's 9 points. But then she got her game going and got a few good runs of points. I only got a couple more points before she beat me 26 to 14. Mum was no-doubt relieved to have succeeded against her novice son, but I didn't mind the defeat since I felt I had given a creditable performance. It was a good game and we both enjoyed the friendly competition.

In this era of results-driven assessments, let us remember that it's not the winning that counts but the taking part. The game of life is for everyone to enjoy not just those who become No. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment