Monday 9 June 2008

What to leave behind

I've been packing today.
As if there aren't enough other decisions needing to be made!

But you'll be relieved to hear that the kitchen sink is definitely staying at home.

It's a question that has been hanging in the air since the beginning of May.
At the National Gathering we were thinking about the question 'What could we leave behind?'

In some respects we only need to be ourselves.
In the very first days humanity had nothing.
Even now that's how we all arrive in the world.

In the beginning we were still cared for and provided for.
Then we thought we could do better ourselves.
But we seem to have made a muck-up of it all.

Maybe I should travel light and take nothing.

Well not completely nothing of course.
I would need to wear some clothes.
And you can't get very far without a passport.
And, and, and, ....!

I think it would be too hard these days to take nothing.
But packing up certainly makes you think.

What do I really need?
Who is going to look after me?

Big questions indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment