Monday 23 August 2010

To Work - Sort Of

Family at TalmineDaughter, sister, mum, and aunt, at Talmine Harbour in Melness

The last of our family visitors departed for Edinburgh today. My Mum, and my older two children, have been staying with us in the Manse since Thursday. It has been a busy time, since there have been the two Ordination events to attend, as well as tours of introduction to the Parish. It was my Mum's first visit to the Parish, and only the second visit for my older children.

Family at SkerrayThe Four Girls at Skerray Harbour

At Varrich Castle, waving to the ManseFour Girls and Two Boys, waving to the Manse

Now that they have gone, the Manse has settled down to peace and quiet. Not that we were in conflict while we were all together! It is just that there was always someone coming or going, or moving around. Today we are quiet again.

I have been thinking about tasks for later in the week. Mondays and Tuesdays will be my 'Weekend' days, with Sunday as the busy focus and highlight of the Week. Therefore, today is not a Work Day, but I am still thinking about Work. And maybe even Blogging should be classified as Work, so long as I don't spend all day at the keyboard!

There are many new things to begin now that I have finally started as a Parish Minister. There are new relationships to make, with the leaders of the congregation, with those who are in need of care and pastoral support, and with those in the community who will expect me to interact with them. Not least, I must begin preparation for leading worship and preaching sermons!

Preparation is needed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I need to spend long hours of administrative organisation. I want to begin this ministry in the same manner I intend to continue - by listening to the Holy Spirit and by following Jesus.

The things that seem most reasonable and rational to me, are not necessarily the first things that I should be doing. My initial activities may not be the things you think I should be doing.

Were I to Follow Jesus literally, I would now be heading out into the Wilderness, to spend 40 Days on my own, listening to the Holy Spirit, and learning how God wants me to move forward in my Ministry.

But the parish of Melness and Tongue is nowhere near the land of Israel. I have duties to perform and functions to undertake. This Time is different from the New Testament times.

Therefore, I must find new ways of beginning, that are customised for this place, this time, this people, and this Minister. I can only see dimly what lies ahead, but I know that Jesus goes before me, and his Holy Spirit will make the way clear as we press onwards, following Jesus.

"One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus" will do for me just now.

No comments:

Post a Comment