Wednesday 18 August 2010

Only 4 days

It has only been four days since my last post, but it seems much longer ago than that!

We enjoyed meeting up with friends on Saturday evening at one of the local hotels. They joined us for Communion at church on Sunday, the last Sunday before I begin my duties as minister.

Liz and me, summit of Ben Hope
In the afternoon, we joined our friends for a walk up Ben Hope, some 3040 feet (927m) high. It was a great break from unpacking and storing at the manse. The weather was good, dry but not too hot. The summit was clear most of the afternoon, but it was capped by cloud by the time we arrived. We were getting late, and there were hordes of midges, so we had a brief snack, took some photos, and headed down again. However, there were many fine views both climbing up and during our descent. I'm sure it won't be long before we're back to try again for a clear view from the summit.
View from slopes of Ben Hope down into the valley below
On Monday we headed out to Thurso for our first major shopping expedition. It's a 90-mile round trip, but it didn't take too long. Soon we were back home with all that we need for the celebrations this weekend.

The unpacking is nearly finished now, and I have begun to give some thought to my first few weeks of preaching. A plan is now in place, and the first couple of weeks are beginning to get some detail.

I've already made my first pastoral visit, organised my first meeting, and today I even received my first enquiry about a wedding! The Big day isn't until next year so no big panic - yet!

It's been sunny quite a bit this week, and I am still revelling in the beautiful views around the manse. Below is the back garden in the evening sunshine, and then the view this morning from the front door over Castle Varrich and the Kyle of Tongue.

the Manse back garden

Castle Varrich & the Kyle of Tongue from the Manse front door

No comments:

Post a Comment