Sunday 4 July 2010

Twenty One!

I remember being 21 years old, although I've lived another time and a half since then! It was not only the time when I received the keys to the door, but just a few weeks later I became a married man - and I still am.

Twenty one is half of another significant number - 42. Douglas Adams posed the question, "What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?", and 42 was the answer (sorry for spoiling the secret if you are currently reading the book!). I wonder why he chose the number 42, but maybe it was because it is twice 21.

My daughter became 21 yesterday. She has had door keys for some time now, but the day was nonetheless a significant one. Next year we'll all be in different places, and we don't know what life will bring.

She'll have finished at university by then, and she has a lot of work ahead to earn a good degree. I pray that she will know the blessings of God during the year, studying well, learning well, writing well, and living well. And not only for the year ahead, but for the rest of her life.

Twenty one years ago the year was 1989. Can you remember that far back? I remember I had a two-year old son, and a day-old baby! Did you have a plan for what you would be doing 21 years hence, i.e. doing today?

I certainly did not think I would have left electronics and changed over to work as a church minister. Perhaps it's just as well we don't know what lies round the corner - or we might turn around!

But now that I have got round the corner I am looking forward to what lies ahead. When we feel apprehensive we doubt that we can come through the challenges we face. But when we recall that Jesus goes before us, and with us, and clears up after us, then we can face the challenges with confidence.

I am looking forward to the next years in ministry. I might not reach 21 years as a minister, but I know I'll be with God for all my years, and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment