Wednesday 14 July 2010

Treasure

I spent today throwing out more old stuff. That process reminded me of many good times and many good friends. It made me realise that whether you consider an old item to be treasure or rubbish depends on your point of view.

On the one hand they are just old pieces of paper. On the other hand they contain information or images that trigger precious memories.

After my morning session of chucking out old paperwork, my daughter and I went round to see my Mum. Before we had been there long we had Mum's old photo album out!

It was great to see photos of my parents from the time they got married, and then photos of my brother and sister and I growing up. We also saw some older photos of my grandparents when they were newlyweds. We even saw my great-grandparents (whom I never met).

Jesus told folk not to store up treasure in barns or cupboards where rust could corrode and discolour or pests could eat and destroy. Instead, Jesus said we should store up treasure in heaven, where it would be safe forever.

Memories are sometimes too traumatic and painful and we try hard to forget them. But the apostle Paul encouraged his readers to remember the good things about their lives, things that are worth remembering.

In remembering - give thanks to God for his good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment