Wednesday 21 July 2010

Timekeeping

Isn't it strange how time seems to drag by on some occasions, and then on other occasions it whizzes along!

Five years ago I was excited at the prospect of my first ministry training conference closely followed by the start of my Divinity degree at New College. The prospect of five years of studying and training stretched out an unimaginable distance ahead of me. So much of the journey was unknown and yet to be discovered that there was a considerable amount of apprehension along with the excitement.

When I looked back on that period, after I finished my training at the end of November 2009, it seemed to have gone by quickly. Not as quick as a flash, but much faster than I had realised at the time.

Similarly, on April 25th this year, when the congregation of Melness and Tongue parish elected me to be their next minister, it seemed like it would be a long time until my ordination, which would be almost 4 months away. Those past 3 months have gone by quickly, and now the days are just ticking off, almost as if they were hours!

Now there are only 25 days until that momentous event. I wonder how fast they will go by?! I have already been involved in helping to decide some of the aspects of that day. Those who are making the preparations are also aware that there are not many days remaining.

Make the most of each day. We never know how many days there are remaining. We might think there are many, and then discover that there are few. We might think there is lots of time for those important people, those important decisions, those important actions. Too late, we can discover that we have run out of time, that the clockwork mechanism has come to the end of its wind.

The God who loves you enough to die for you, will never force you to do anything against your will. If you decide that you don't want to know Him, then He won't force himself upon you. Don't leave it too late. Don't wait until your energies have wound down, and the spring that drives you onwards has run out of puff.

Jesus calls you, o'er the tumult of life's wild and restless sea. Day by day his voice is sounding, saying come and follow me. (Words adapted from C.F.Alexander's hymn).

No comments:

Post a Comment