Thursday 25 June 2009

Midsummer Midnight

Garden at Midnight at Midsummer
If you have been up late during recent nights you may have observed that it's not been that dark even at midnight.

Last night, or perhaps I should say this morning, I was burning the midnight oil finishing off the first draft of a report I have been writing.

Although it was midnight, I could see my garden quite clearly in the twilight filtering down from the North. The sky was quite bright in the distance, although it sky was cloudy and gloomy above Edinburgh.

My camera made a valiant effort to record the scene, although the image was very dark until I used some image processing to enhance the brightness and contrast.

Although it was an 8-second exposure the image is quite sharp, except for the solar light at the far end of the grass, which you can see has smudged as the camera shook.

Sometimes as we look at our situation everything seems very dark and gloomy. But if we take a long look, life is not quite so dark and hopeless as an initial glance would suggest.

Jesus of Nazareth, is sometimes described as the Light of the World. Many folk don't see the light. But if we look carefully, it is there, shining in the darkness, and the darkness can never put it out.

Take a long look.

2 comments:

  1. I was awake the other evening at about 3am - and the light was fairly aboot the place. Wild, eh? Tripod next time to avoid the 'shakes'? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a tripod would have been good, but at that time of night I was too tired to fetch it out and set it up! So I just held it by hand against the window frame. And one of my friends says 'the nights are fair drawing in' already!

    ReplyDelete