Monday 22 February 2010

Dead Car

Today I went to a meeting in Linlithgow of ministers from various different denominations in West Lothian. I really enjoyed our time together and felt encouraged and supported by their fellowship and by the teaching, prayer, and reflection.

When I got back to the car park where I had left my car, I clicked the remote to unlock the door, and nothing happened. Oh, oh!

I tried again, both buttons, dead - no response.

After some thought, I decided that it probably wasn't the remote, since it hadn't given me any of the usual warning signs of the battery running out.

It must be something in the car - and the most likely thing, was the battery - and a light went on in my head - which was the exact problem - the lights - the headlights.

I had left them on. But there is a warning signal if you open the door, without the keys in, and the lights are still on. So how come I didn't hear a warning?

I had parked too close to a boulder, as the car park was almost full. I couldn't get out the driver's door, and so I had clambered through to the back and got out the back door. And it doesn't trigger the 'headlights on' warning sound.

Hey ho. My breakdown service eventually sorted me out. I didn't have to wait too long, and I had no other appointments. I had forgotten my mobile phone - which didn't help!

Afterwards, I was thinking - it's a bit like our discussion earlier in the morning. If we are not putting anything into the battery, then eventually it will run out.

In our lives as ministers, there is quite a load on our spiritual batteries. We can't last very long, unless our charging circuit is keeping us topped up.

So an integral part of our lifestyle must be spending time with God, and allowing his Holy Spirit to keep us running at full power.

It was a timely lesson, although not very pleasant. It was more than 25 years ago when I last made that mistake with headlights. I must be careful not to make that mistake again, either with my car, or my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment