Wednesday 10 February 2010

Question

Even before I started training to become a Minister with the Church of Scotland, I learned an important lesson. It was about the value of questions.

I had been invited to participate in a Bible Study that would be running through the period of Lent. The study group was part of the congregation where I was being Assessed for my potential to become a Minister.

During one of the evenings, someone made a comment that offended me.

The language used was not offensive, but the comment suggested that a certain group of people today don't believe certain parts of the Bible any more.

I was offended because the comment was about a group of people to which I consider I belong, and therefore I was included in the assertion about lack of belief. Yet I do believe in those parts of the Bible that were being doubted.

I was angry. I reacted against the comments by contradicting the person. I told them they were wrong. I was emotional in my response. After my flare-up, we moved on to the next part of the study and talked about other subjects.

After we finished our studies, during coffee and biscuits, I took care to speak to the person who had offended me. I apologised for having been upset and angry and for reacting so negatively. My excuse was that I was not prepared for such a direct opposition to something I held strongly and dearly. We talked together and remained friendly during the remaining months of my Assessment placement.

Since that time, I have noted many situations when asking a question is a good response to something that has been said. Questions like, Why? Where? How? What?

The biggest values of asking a question are that one invites a response, and hopefully one learns something from the response. The other person or people may learn things by considering and making their answer.

One of the hazards of being a Minister is that the biggest speaking point of the week is the Sunday Sermon. It is not a discussion or a conversation, usually being a monologue. The Minister may ask questions, but often no answer is expected.

There is little opportunity for anyone in the congregation to make considered comments, or to ask their own questions. There is usually no opportunity for discussion.

Some ministers do provide a short summary, or even the whole text, of their sermons. In such congregations, study groups are often invited to consider and reflect on each week's sermon. Questions and comments are invited, and the minister may offer to come and discuss.

In the absence of meaningful feedback and discussion, how then does a Minister question themself? Are we sensitive to the check of the Holy Spirit, who prods us when we say something that is unwise? Or even better, before we say something that is unwise, or unhelpful, or untrue?

In the present training programme for Ministers, the Candidates are often asked to undertake tasks that result in our anxiety or embarrassment. As a result we become accustomed to speaking in front of hundreds of strangers, about subjects they hold dearly.

Fortunately, it is rare that negative comments are received. Often such comments are about other aspects of the service than the sermon.

But that emphasises my point about lack of considered feedback. Without such feedback one can become complacent. If no-one ever contradicts you, then you might begin to think that you always speak correctly. And that's wrong!

I am glad that I have strong friends who love me enough to criticise me. It is usually a painful process, but it is a rewarding process.

Questions are opportunities for growth. They encourage us to balance doubt and faith. They encourage us to explore subjects that we find offensive. They encourage us to reconsider what we think and believe. They give us permission to ask questions too.

Question. Question? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment