Wednesday 16 December 2009

Weight off my mind

It's been a burden to me for the last few weeks, but I've not had any time to deal with it. I've had to carry it around despite the weight on my shoulders. Other folk haven't even noticed, and no-one has offered to help me carry the load.

I wondered what other people would think of me, but there was no time to do anything about it. Every morning I was reminded that I needed to do something. If I didn't then the problem would only get worse.

So today, I finally found space and time. I got on my bicycle and cycled over the hill to the barber's shop. He relieved me of that heavy load that had been pressing me down. He cut away what was no longer required. He released me from the worry and anxiety about what other folk would think. Now I am a free man.

Of course, although I am now free, my haircut was not. My wallet is considerably lighter than it was when I got up this morning. Although I have to say that the guy's prices are quite reasonable compared with prices in the city-centre.

Even in the barber's shop there was no escape from Christmas. Baubles were hanging from the ceiling, and there were silver stars hanging in the windows. Mind you, I was pleased to see that there was no Christmas Tree. I don't understand why we maintain that tradition, since the trees cost money, make a mess, and would be much better capturing carbon on the hills, than being turned into woodchip and compost.

There was even a free Christmas gift for customers. I enjoyed drinking mine, although I did have to concentrate rather harder than usual as I was cycling back home.

Christmas is all about giving. I have been giving that barber's shop my custom for around 30 years now. It was nice to get a present today as well as getting my hair cut.

1 comment: