Saturday 12 December 2009

Spreading Out

Since I turned 30 I've had a problem with Spreading Out! My wife developed the same problem around 9 months earlier, although for her, it was caused by the impending arrival of our first child, my son Peter!

In my case, I started a new job around that time. My wife Liz, and son Peter, both needed more of my time to look after them and the household. My wife's grandparents also needed our care, although by then they had moved into a nursing home on the other side of the city.

I had no time to play golf, or to go sailing, and life turned into a mad balancing act, trying to keep all the plates spinning, without dropping any to the floor.

I started putting on weight - eating too much, and not exercising enough. It's not an uncommon problem these days. At that time I managed to keep my waist from outgrowing my 32" trousers (the 30" trousers of my 20s never stood a chance!).

In recent years, while I was studying at New College, I again gave my waistbands a severe testing. However, I managed to get my degree before I suffered any wardrobe malfunctions! During the summer after I graduated, I managed to lose half a stone (7lbs, just over 3kg). My trousers were well pleased!

When I started my Final Placement last September, I was a bit alarmed at the amount of scones and biscuits I was consuming. However, I figured that if I scaled back, or even missed out, lunch on the days when I was eating too many cakes and other goodies, then I might just be able to keep my weight from exploding!

And so it turned out. In fact I've actually lost a few more pounds of surplus waist-line. Now I'm a sylph-like 10st 2lbs, or 142lbs US-style, or 64.5kg metric!

This month of unemployment might have been an opportunity to slim back even more, but it's the season of Christmas, with coffee mornings, mince pies, and the traditional Christmas Dinner.

I'll be happy if I reach January 3rd still able to get into my preaching suit!

No comments:

Post a Comment