Monday 11 January 2010

The Week That Was

On Thursday, I attended a Memorial service at my local church. My next-door neighbour had been ill for most of last year, and she died just before Christmas. She was a wonderful person. She and her husband were great neighbours and we will all miss them.

In the evening, my wife and I attended the Ordination of one of my training colleagues. He and I started at New College together in September 2005, and for most of the last 4 years, we have journeyed together, attending many of the same classes, and chatting most days. It was great to see him started in ministry at Stewarton: John Knox.

On Saturday, Liz and I went to visit one of the parishes I have applied for. We hadn't been able to see round one of the three church buildings on our previous visit, and it was nice to see the inside this time. As with the other two buildings, this one had some very attractive and distinctive features.

In the afternoon, we travelled through the snowy hills, for the ordination of another friend from New College. Although we did not know each other so well previously, during this past year, we have come a lot closer. He completed his training with the congregation where I had been on placement during the previous year. We share common experience, and it was nice to see some of my friends from that congregation who were also at his ordination.

The week seemed to whizz by so rapidly. It's been jam-packed, mostly with enjoyable and satisfying experiences, even although some them were to do with funerals.

God is good. He leads us through life from conception, through death, and beyond. Too often those ancient peoples of the Old Testament thought that God was an angry vengeful God. Jesus came to show us that God loves us. He cares for us and provides us with everything that we need, and far more than that.

God was there at the beginning of Time. He created Time. With Him there always enough time. Even until the End of Time, whenever that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment