Thursday 26 November 2009

Final Funeral

I was leading worship at a funeral today. It's something that I have done quite often during this Final Placement of my training. But it was not something that I had anticipated occuring during my final week.

On reflection though, I was pleased to refamiliarise myself with what was involved. The last funeral I led was back in August, some three months ago. And during December I will be between jobs, so I doubt I will have any funerals to do then.

If I start my Locum job as expected in January, then I will probably have one or more funerals to take every week. So it's good that I have had this opportunity this week.

Of course, that is no consolation for the family of the lady who died. She and her husband had been married for more than 35 years, and he has been looking after her full-time for the last few of these. It will be a devastating loss for him.

Yet perhaps in time he will realise that both he and she have been released from a life of limitation, frustration, difficulty, and hard work - into a new life.

Jesus assures us that God's offer of eternal life is given for all people. We entrust those who have died into God's care. We pray that in his gracious love he will have mercy on our loved one. And on us too, come to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment