Friday 20 November 2009

Balmoral and Aviemore

Red Squirrel at Balmoral
A couple of weeks ago I spent a few days away at Balmoral in Royal Deeside with twenty ministers, readers, and trainees, who live and work in rural settings. It was a very interesting and useful insight into working in rural churches. As I continue to search for a congregation, those in the countryside seem to be calling me the hardest. The Red Squirrel above was one of the pictorial highlights of the week!

This week I have been in Aviemore for a church conference on conflict resolution and reconciliation. This was a much bigger event with around 250 delegates. There were a range of speakers and workshop leaders from Scotland, England, and the USA. This conference also was interesting and useful and I look forward to seeing how these issues will be taken forward in the coming months and years.

Snow-topped Cairngorms from Aviemore Station
As I waited for my train home I was surprised to see such a snowy scene at the top of the Cairngorms. After all it is only the middle of November!

As for the future, I finish my final training placement, at Abercorn linked with Pardovan, Kingscavil and Winchburgh churches, on Monday next week. After that I hope to apply to, and be selected by, a congregation with a view to becoming their minister for the next few years, or longer! I'll let you know when things become settled, but at present I can't say any more on air!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you success with your application.
    Having lived in Formby for many years I'm very fond of the red squirrels. Your conference on rural parishes sounded extremely interesting.
    God bless you in all your plans for the future. Trust the move goes smoothly when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mamie. Do mean Formby near Liverpool? I've never been there, but I'm surprised there were many red squirrels. I think that one above is the first one I've had a decent look at. The only other occasion was just a red flash and it was gone!

    ReplyDelete