Tuesday 14 July 2009

Where Next?

"Where Next?" is a question that has not only been in my mind quite a lot during the last few weeks, but also has been asked of me on many occasions.

Now that people are beginning to look beyond the summer period, they are realising that the end of my time at Abercorn and Winchburgh is appearing on the horizon.

Of course the end is still a long way, some four and a half months, at the end of November. But see, even I am now counting down in half-months, instead of whole months. And just yesterday, my supervisor and I were working on the preaching plan through until the end of November. It's not that far away now.

We don't know where we will be going next, and not even when we will be going. But the next step in the process will occur on 25th August. On that day, I will hear whether my training has reached completion, or whether I have more to do, or whether my training will terminate without reaching completion.

It's quite a big hurdle I still have to cross over. Until that day is over I cannot make any plans for what lies beyond. Even the plans that we made yesterday might have to be changed depending on the outcome of that review meeting.

My wife and I have been exploring the list of Vacancies, but as yet we have not made any decisions about where we would like to go. We have decided, at this stage, not to go outwith mainland Scotland, but even that 'decision' could be open to change.

And in any case, we don't get a free choice of where to go. We have to apply to congregations with an approved Vacancy, and then they get to choose which one of the applicants they will invite to preach before the congregation as Sole Nominee. They may decline all the applicants and invite further applications.

So despite my desire to know the answer to "Where Next?", and the interest of all those people who keep asking me, we shall all just have to be patient. One step at a time, and the next big step is on August 25th.

Before then, and even after then, I've got lots of work to do. So no slacking, nose to the grind-stone, and stay focussed on what has to be done now. "Where Next?" will become clear later, in God's own good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment