Sunday 7 December 2008

Too much of a Good Thing?

This past week has been a very busy one for me. Come along for the ride!

On Sunday, my supervisor and I were taking the services at Blackridge and Harthill churches as part of the Presbytery's Pulpit Swap Sunday. It was interesting to meet these two church communities and see how and where they meet. The frost rime on the fields, bushes, and trees, was beautiful as it shone in the midday sun. In the evening we hosted some of the local P7 children for a scary St Andrews night down at Abercorn church. It was a great evening - although I had to wash the soup out of my hair when I got home!

Monday was notionally a day off since there were no scheduled activities for that day. But there was so much happening later in the week that I spent much of the day in preparation. However, I did get out in the late morning to go and visit one of my trainee friends and we enjoyed a nice coffee and lunch together.

On Tuesday we reviewed my input for Wednesday's Memorial Service, and then I spent most of the rest of day preparing for Wednesday's Midweek Service at the Sheltered Housing complex in Winchburgh. I was taking the whole of that service and I wanted to use the computer projector for images and words reflecting on Advent. I was pleased that the evening meeting I had anticipated was actually to be the next week. As it was I didn't get finished until after Midnight.

On Wednesday we visited a family for whom we would be taking a funeral later in the week. Then I spent an hour or so delivering Parish Magazines in my Elder's District. After that it was time to get set up for the Midweek Service. It went very well and everyone enjoyed it. After that all the equipment had to go back to the Church and get setup again for the Memorial Service in the evening. There was a big turnout and the Church was nearly full. Again everyone found it a meaningful service. My main contribution was a 60-image 4m30s reflective sequence on the projector.

On Thursday we visited the morning and afternoon Nursery Classes at the local Primary school. We helped the children to make their own Christingles and we sang some carols accompanied by me on my French Horn. In between the two classes we delivered a Christmas leaflet to every household in Bridgend (unless we missed some by accident!). In the afternoon I managed to get the two different sets of hymns chosen for the two services I was leading on Sunday morning. In the evening we hosted a Carol Concert at the Church, provided by a former organist and his choir. They were very good and it was a pity so few people came along to enjoy listening to, and taking part in, the singing. I managed to make a recording of the concert for some of our housebound folk.

On Friday we were taking two funerals. The morning service was at a nearby undertaker's funeral parlour followed by the burial in the cemetery. The afternoon funeral was at Falkirk Crematorium, which is a fair drive away. Afterwards I chose the readings and carols for the Abercorn Nine Lessons and Carol Service on the 14th at 6:30pm. The evening was a social occasion in Winchburgh - although to give the minister and priest the night off they asked me to say Grace. At least after that I could relax!

Saturday daytime was spent writing the sermon and prayers for Sunday, as well as some preparation for the Nine Lessons Carol service. In the evening my mum, sister, wife, and I, enjoyed a quiet, pleasant, dinner at The Lot in the Grassmarket. It's a great place to eat out. The food is always well-prepared, with interesting choices on the menu, which is changed frequently.

Well - That Was The Week That Was! I hope you enjoyed reading about it. I certainly enjoyed preparing and participating in all these different activities. It has been my busiest week yet in this placement. But I don't think it was too much of a good thing!

2 comments:

  1. Waw! Poor Scott! you are working him very hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - that's for sure. Scott is working more hours than I am!

    ReplyDelete