Monday 1 December 2008

Q1 Done - Q2 Begins!

Last night I was mulling over how things were going - without a glass of seasonal mulled wine, I hasten to add! - and I realised with surprise that I have been working in my placement for three months now.

It's a curious fact that our Final Placement lasts for 15 months. What's curious about that you say? Well it means that the Placement has Five Quarters!

It's one of these funny situations when a word can have multiple meanings. Three months is a quarter of one year - and I have now been in my placement for 3 months. Or in other words, for One Quarter.

On that basis my 15-month placement will have Five Quarters! Which is slightly bizarre, because an object can only have Four Quarters.

Of course, if I was to be more precise with my use of language, then I would have to say that I have only completed the First Fifth of my placement. But apart from that being difficult to say(!), it doesn't sound nearly so far on as finishing the First Quarter!

So I think I'll settle on my more upbeat definition of Quarter.

It's nice to have started my Second Quarter at the beginning of Advent. There is so much to look forward to. As well as looking forward to the celebrations, I look forward to thinking again how the Good News of God's Love was expressed that First Christmas.

That offer of Love remains open even today. Anyone can respond to that offer of Love from God with an acceptance. Then God's Love will not only surround you, but will come inside you and fill you to overflowing with Love.

Jesus said, "I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10, NIV)

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of probation being five quarters... it is neat for reflective purposes...as well as quirky use of language :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be glad you have now completed your five quarters and are all lined up for your next stage! Press on!

    ReplyDelete